Monday 22 December 2014

Victoria Clarke interviews her partner Shane MacGowan about Fairytale of New York


At this time of year, one cannot avoid hearing the song ‘Fairytale of New York’. It is one of the most popular Christmas songs ever written. And while I am delighted and proud for Shane, the song is a constant reminder of how much we have in common with the bag lady and the tramp in the song. It also reminds me of how very lucky we are to still have each other, to have managed to stay together through very good times and very bad ones.
Over the years, I must have heard Shane sing that song thousands of times. And yet, I realised that it isn’t something we ever talk about. And so, when I was asked if I knew the story behind the song, or how long it took to write or how Shane really feels about it, I realised that I did not know any of these things. And when I did investigate, I was surprised by what I discovered...
Continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment