Friday 6 March 2009

Bazooka Production No. 1 (Feb 1975)

Much more art from the very wonderful "Bazooka Graphique" crew here.

I am not sure when I first came across the Bazooka art collective, sadly not as well known outside France as they should be. They did some illustrations for the NME back in 1977 and were responsible alongside Barney Bubbles for the stunning cover for Elvis Costello's 'Armed Forces' album. I have to keep sending off to France for their books (a very expensive way of getting them by the time you pay postage!) I will have to start squirreling away my pennies as there is a new book due out in June.
There was a site 'Une Regarde Moderne' that commented on the news daily in art form and from what I can gather with my (very) limited French that there were problems with the manipulation of copyrighted photos.
Pranksters! They used to do supplements for the French paper 'Liberation' and after the artwork was approved they would change it just before printing!
And to those of you who think that it is just "painting over photographs" well - you haven't a fucking clue!

No comments:

Post a Comment